Monday, April 21, 2014

Review: The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham

Book: The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line
Series: Veronica Mars #1
Released: March 25, 2014
Publisher: Vintage
Pages: 336 (Nook Version)
Stars: 5 out of 5



The book picks up where the movie leaves off. It’s spring break in Neptune which means all the co-ed's are coming out of the woodwork. When a girl goes missing while on a wild spring break getaway with her girlfriends, Veronica Mars takes on her first case after returning to Neptune. But Veronica hits a few snags in her investigation early on. Because Neptune, where the rich get richer, where the people will do everything in their power to make sure their income isn’t jeopardized.

It's Veronica Mars! Nothing is as it seems and Veronica finds herself in the company of people more dangerous than she had originally thought. But when a new lead in the case brings someone she thought long gone back into her life, Veronica must do something even harder than solving this case; she comes face to face with her past.

   Okay, for those of you who don't know, Lindsay and I are huge Veronica Mars fans. Kristen Bell is amaze-balls and I personally believe anything she touches is gold. But first and foremost, she will always be Veronica Mars in my eyes (and heart)! 
I've seen all of the VM episodes so many times that I can probably quote most of them. And of course I bought the digital version of the movie and I watch it at least once a week. Team Logan! Anyway, color me totally stoked when Rob Thomas, that evil genius, decided to release Veronica Mars books! That's right, books ... Plural. Not one, but two! It's like having another movie or tv season all over again. But instead of having to wait for the next episode, you just keep turning the page to find out what happens next! Love it. 

   "The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line" runs with the typical Veronica Mars plot. There's a case she needs to solve, anyone and everyone is a suspect, there's all the familiar faces, and of course big twists and turns. I almost expected to feel like, "yeah, yeah. I've heard this all before." However, there's a new feel to the story. Veronica is not a teenager anymore. These aren't high school kids she's dealing with. Mars Investigations is struggling,
on the verge of closing the doors and she desperately needs this money. For the first time Veronica is the one calling the shots, taking care of business, and everyone is relying on her. For me, the storyline takes on a much more mature tone. The plot in general really had me guessing. I didn't expect the major plot twist at all and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. 

This is the first book that I've read in just a matter a few hours in a very long time. As a new mom, I value sleep. Once my son is down for the night, typically, so am I. But this book had me hooked. I stayed up so I could finish it and it was worth it! 
I loved feeling so in tune with the book. I felt as if could hear and visualize everything exactly how it was on the show and in the movie. That was my only reservation in the beginning. I was afraid of feeling disconnected from the Neptune and characters I know and love. Fortunately, Rob hit the nail on the head and totally did the world of Veronica Mars justice. I can't wait for the second book!

   For all the VM fans out there, this book is a home run! And for the rest of you, you're missing out. You need some Veronica Mars in your life ... After all, they say she's marshmallow.

1 comment:

  1. I am a fairly new VM fan. I watched the entire series this year before the movie came out and I was instantly hooked! I loved the movie so much. (Team Logan 4ever!) I saw this book yesterday and almost bought it but I am drowning in review books so I decided to wait. After reading your thoughts though, I am kinda mad I didn't. I love the idea of a more grown up Veronica and story line. I might buy it for my iPad today!

    ReplyDelete