Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Top Ten YA Books We'd Recommend to People Who Don't Read YA

Hosted by: The Broke and the Bookish

Welcome to our first ever Top Ten Tuesday!

Young Adult (or YA) is the go-to literature for both of us. Be it fantasy, contemporary or otherwise, it's what we like to read. We've decided to list a few books each, and hopefully it'll give you a good cross-section to chose from for your next (or first!) YA selection.

Lindsay's Selections: 

1. If you like fan fiction, family, friends and a dash of awkwardness: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell




2. If you like Paris and cute boys: Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins 


3. If you like fairy tales, royalty and pretty clothes: Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick 




4. If you like fantasy, a female assassin, a dreamy prince and a swoon-worthy soldier: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas




5. If you're a Jane-ite, an adaptation of Persuasion: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund


Lindsay's Honorable Mentions: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Basically, anything by Rainbow Rowell...), Lola & the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, and The Girl of Fire and Thorns Series by Rae Carson

Sarah's Selections:

1. If you like dystopian futures and rebellion, try: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins


(Seconded by Lindsay!!!)

2. If you like award winning drama with self-discovery, a little mystery and romance thrown in the mix, try: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta


Ditto to this one too!--Lindsay

3. If you like Nazi era historical fiction, try The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. I love your choices! Anna and the french kiss is one of my favorites!
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just read Anna a couple of months ago and suggest it to everyone now!

      Delete
  2. I did not realize that For Darkness Shows the Stars is an adaptation of Persuasion. I need to move that one up my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic! There's a companion novel as well that is based on The Scarlet Pimpernell. :)

      Delete
  3. I think I'll have to pick up For Darkness Shows the Stars b/c I am most definitely a Jane-ite. P.S. What is "Fan Fiction"? Educate me please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fan Fiction is made up, minor changes, extended or different endings, alternate universe takes, etc on popular stories, tv shows and movies. For example: Harry Potter ends up with Hermione. Or Cedric never dies. It can be anything really. :)

      Delete
  4. Great list! I am still dying to read Fangirl, For Darkness Shows the Stars and Jellicoe Road, have heard amazing things about all of them and seen them on so many lists today.Great choices. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are all some of my favorites! Headed to check out your TTT now!

      Delete
  5. This is a really good, comprehensive list for people who aren't already YA readers. I can't believe that I've only read two books you mentioned, haha (although all of the others are already on my TBR list!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We tried to give a variety of topics to engage more people! Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete