Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Lady Thief by AC Gaughen

Book: Lady Thief by AC Gaughen
Series: Scarlet #2

Released: February 11, 2014

Publisher: Walker Childrens

Pages: 320 (Kindle edition)

Stars: 5+ and ALL THE FLAILS

Lady Thief
From Goodreads:

Scarlet’s true identity has been revealed, but her future is uncertain. Her forced marriage to Lord Gisbourne threatens Robin and Scarlet’s love, and as the royal court descends upon Nottingham for the appointment of a new Sheriff, the people of Nottingham hope that Prince John will appoint their beloved Robin Hood. But Prince John has different plans for Nottingham that revolve around a fateful secret from Scarlet’s past even she isn’t yet aware of. Forced to participate at court alongside her ruthless husband, Scarlet must bide her time and act the part of a noblewoman—a worthy sacrifice if it means helping Robin’s cause and a chance at a future with the man she loves. With a fresh line of intrigue and as much passion as ever, the next chapter in Scarlet’s tale will have readers talking once again.
*As with all books within a series, there will be spoilers for previous books. Ye be warned.*

The very first review I wrote on The Broke Book Girls (way back in November....) was for Scarlet by AC Gaughen. Little did I know that this series would quickly become one of my new favorites. I discovered it on a whim, and man did I fall in love. So when Lady Thief, the second book in the series, came out at the beginning of February, I read it immediately (it's taken me this long to get my feels in order to be coherent enough to put words down).
The FEELS this book gave me. I was all over the place. Ecstatic, happy, thrilled, worried, terrified, distraught, depressed, curled up in the fetal position and huddled in the corner, you name it, I probably felt it over the course of this book. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED it. So very much. Just be prepared for the feels. Gaughen will give you hope and then rip your heart out.

Oh Scarlet. I love love love her so much. She's so damaged and flawed while still being crazy awesome. Only this time she has even more to deal with. Rob is suffering from serious issues. I still love Much, maybe even more so. John as some truly heartbreaking moments. And Gisbourne still sucks. 

But maybe not as much Prince John, the new reigning d-bag. His mom-Eleanor of Aquitaine-is totally awesome and the most amazing royal to ever be royal.

Lady Thief picks up shortly after Scarlet ended (huzzah!). Scarlet finds herself still married to Gisbourne, while longing to be with Rob. And Rob. Poor Rob is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. He wakes up from nightmares every night and attacks whoever is nearby. Even if that person is Scarlet (welcome to book 2!).

Prince John is coming in to Nottingham to name a new sheriff, with Gisbourne pretty much being the main, and only, candidate. With him comes his entourage, and his mother Eleanor of Aquitaine along with him. I adore her by the way. She's rather fabulous. Due to the Prince's arrival, Gisbourne strikes a deal with Scarlet. In exchange for Scarlet coming to the castle to live with him and acting the part of his wife-and a proper lady of the court, Gisbourne will grant her an annulment. All of this happens at the start of the book. We also get to have the famous tournament (sadly no fox on stilts), meet Alan-a-Dale, and learn more about Rob's time in the Crusades.

Gaughen created a masterpiece. She takes you for a ride in the most wonderful and imaginative way possible. She yanks you back and forth and your feels will never be the same. Rob and Scarlet's relationship is back-and-forth and ridiculously complicated. But I will ship this ship until the very end. There are so many twists and turns, and even though I figured one of the major ones out, it was still the most amazing thing ever. There are parts, seriously depressing parts of this book. I bawled my eyes in a couple of places. And the ending. Your heart will be ripped into shreds by the ending, if it isn't in tatters already. You'll just want to huddle in the corner until the pain goes away.

I wish I could tell you more, but you must definitely go into this book blind. Trust me, it would not have the same effect if you knew what was going to happen.



A thousand times yes. I will push this book on to anyone I possibly can. I honestly think this book should, and will, be adored by anyone who reads it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, thanks for pushing this on me, because I STILL haven't read SCARLET yet! I know, I'm so ashamed. *hangs head* Everyone loves this series and specifically, this sequel, so much that I have to get to it soon, though! I can't wait to find out what all the fuss is about. I'm glad you loved this one just as much as the first.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete