Saturday, December 28, 2013

Lindsay's 2013 End of Year Survey

Joining in on The Perpetual Page Turner's End of Year Survey! Yay!

1. Best book you read in 2013?
    This is SO hard to figure out. I guess I'll break it down.
     1. YA Fantasy: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas
     2. YA Contemporary: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
     3. New Adult Contemporary: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
     There are tons of books I loved this year. I could go on and on (and on).

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?
     Does it count if it is going to be released in 2014? Because it would have to be Defy by Sara B. Larson. I had very high hopes for it, and I didn't love it as much as expected. My review is HERE.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
     Cinder and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy the whole cyborg aspect of these stories, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books. I seriously cannot wait for Cress to come out in the spring.          
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
     While I suggest a lot of books to people based on what they like, I probably suggested Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins the most. I had lots of friends ask me for a "happy" book, and this was my favorite by far. I even convinced my book club to read it next month.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
     Since I read a lot of series this, I'll pick one that actually ended this year. Fire and Thorns Series by Rae Carson. I read The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers in June, then immediately downloaded The Bitter Kingdom and read it in one morning upon its release in August.
     
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
     I read a lot of new authors this year (TTT post here), so this is super hard. I'd have to go with Rainbow Rowell or Sarah J. Maas. I adore both of their books.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
    
I tend to stay in certain genres, but the one that was probably the most out of my comfort zone was The Diviners by Libba Bray. I don't usually read books that give me the heebie-jeebies, but this book definitely did. Sarah suggested it to me, and I ended up really enjoying it.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2013?
   
The Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi. I devoured the first 2 books (and subsequent novellas). Could not put them down. Warner FTW.

OR

Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. I love 'em. I devoured 'em. I read CoM in one afternoon (same day as The Bitter Kingdom and Deception actually. Not cool releasing books on the same day!)

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
    I love rereading books, especially ones in series. Since I read so much, I often forget things that happened in previous books. So I know I'll be rereading The Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi, The Courier's Daughter Series by CJ Redwine, The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas, and The Grisha Series by Leigh Bardugo just to name a few.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
     These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. So. Gorgeous.
      Also Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick. I love the dress on this cover, especially with the title in the dress.

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
     Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. Because HER NAME, obviously. Plus she's a totally awesome, kick-butt heroine. If you haven't read the novellas, you should. You'd fall even more in love her.

12. Most beautifully written book in 2013?
    I don't even know what to pick, so I'll go with the first book that came to mind. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner (have I gushed about this book enough yet?). I don't usually enjoy books using dual perspectives, but this really worked for me. I also liked how they don't give Lilac unrealistic abilities. Homegirl has zero survival skills, and is a little spoiled, but you can't help but root for her. Plus I appreciate when characters show serious growth, and Lilac definitely does so.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
    Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. This book you guys. It's so fantastic. Rowell does an amazing job of addressing big issues.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to read?
     I can't believe I waited until this year to read the Alanna series by Tamora Pierce. So wonderful. 

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
    I'm sure there were lots I enjoyed, but I'll pick one from a book I haven't really mentioned yet. This one is from Defiance by CJ Redwine "It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that. So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give up."


16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
     I really have no idea how to figure this out. Obviously the novellas I've read would be the shortest (Fracture Me, Destroy Me, etc). But as for the longest? I don't really know. I read mostly on my kindle, so it's not like I can look at my bookshelf to determine the length. I did reread Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, which is long, so I guess it?!

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.)
     Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I read it in one day, and then had to wait for everyone else I knew to finish it. THAT SCENE NEEDED TO BE DISCUSSED.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc.)?
     While there are lots of romantic relationships to choose from, I'd have to go with Cather and Wren from Fangirl. I love the complicated relationship between the twins.

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously?
     Since I read so many new authors in 2013, this is fairly easy. It's Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta. I loved the end to this series. So wonderful. 

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from someone else?
   
The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay. We read this in our book club, and I really, really enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it in my normal wheelhouse of books (but it is YA) because I tend to read fantasy, but this was a great contemporary novel.
21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
    
YA Fantasy. Hands down. It's my favorite.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
    
Chaol from Throne of Glass/Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. Swoon. Or. ORRRRR Hector from the Fire and Thorns trilogy. I love these guys. LOVE THEM.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
    
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I adored this book. And I will read ANYTHING Rowell writes. My gushing review here.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
     Oooh, I love fantasy, so this is tough. But I really enjoyed the world building in These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. Seriously amazing world building. The planet they create is fascinating. It's almost as much of a character in the story as the Lilac and Tarver.
25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
    
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I LOVED the story, and I loved the Simon Snow fanfiction.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
     Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. There were a couple of parts in the book that reminded me of some things that have happened to me, and it definitely brought me to tears.
27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
     Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick. I haven't talked to many people at all that have read it. It's a bit different than a lot of books I read, and I absolutely adored it.


Thanks everyone! Feel free to share some of your answers below!

No comments:

Post a Comment