Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) byMindy Kaling


Book: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (and Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Released: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Pages: 197 (Nook version)
Rating: 5 Stars out of 5




Let me start off by saying that this is the first and only celebrity memoir I've ever read or had the desire to read. But it was totally worth it. In "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?", Mindy invites readers to take a look inside her life and her personal views on romance, friendship, and Hollywood. Though the writing is simple, the timing of the humor as well as the arc of each essay is really excellent. But more importantly, it's HILARIOUS.  

I love that Mindy (we're on a first name basis now) is open and honest about where and how she failed and even embraces those failures. She is someone I could totally see myself being best friends with. The book was light hearted, witty, funny and a very easy read. I recommend it to anyone who wants or needs a good laugh.

I also really appreciate the self-deprecating side of Mindy’s humor. In a section titled "Alternate Titles for This Book” she lists: When Your Boyfriend Fits into Your Jeans and Other Atrocities, Sometimes You Just Have to Put on Lip Gloss and Pretend to be Psyched, So You’ve Juts Finished Chelsea Handler’s Book, Now What?, and There Has Ceased to Be a Difference Between My Awake Clothes and My Asleep Clothes as potential options.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Bren and I befriended each other early on. We clung to each other with blind loyalty, like Lord Voldemort and his snake, Nagini. I, of course, was Nagini."

"The greatest source of stress was that it had been three months since I’d moved to New York and I still didn’t have a job. You know those books called From Homeless to Harvard or From Jail to Yale or From Skid Row to Skidmore? They’re these inspirational memoirs about young people overcoming the bleakest of circumstances and going on to succeed in college. I was worried I would be the subject of a reverse kind of book: a pathetic tale of a girl with a great education who frittered it away watching syndicated Law & Order episodes on a sofa in Brooklyn. From Dartmouth to Dickhead it would be called."

"As you can see, when I write, I like to look like I’m recovering from tuberculosis. I sit in bed, my laptop resting on a blanket or a Notre Dame sweatshirt on my lap."

"AS A THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD, my big celebrity crush was Pierce Brosnan. Yeah, I know. Pierce Brosnan is such an uncreative crush that it sounds like the panicked choice of a closeted lesbian teenager."

"When You’re Not Skinny, This Is What People Want You to Wear
Navy: Ah, navy, the thin-lipped, spinster sister of black. Black, though chic and universally slimming, is considered a boring red carpet color and is rarely featured on best-dressed lists. That’s why I get shown a lot of navy. Navy has made a comeback in the past few years, which is terrific, because before that, navy was most famous as the signature color for postal workers."

All in all, I loved this book! Go read it. You won't be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment