Thursday, January 9, 2014

Review: Intangible by C.A. Gray

Book: Intangible by C.A. Gray
Series: Piercing the Veil #1
Released: December 1, 2013
Publisher: Wunderlust Publishing
Pages: 307 (Kindle)
Rating: 3.5
 
 
 
*I received this book from Netgalley*

Peter Stewart grew up on a unique version of the Arthurian legends taught him by his father, a harebrained quantum physicist who asserts that anything is possible. But Peter disbelieves anything which cannot be scientifically explained, despite a nagging sense that there is more to the world than meets the eye.

Lily Portman is an orphan with a secret: she can see creatures that are invisible to everyone else. These creatures control every human being she has ever met to varying degrees... until she meets Peter and his father.

When a mysterious stranger stages an accident which nearly costs Peter and Lily their lives, suddenly Lily learns that she is not crazy after all, and Peter discovers the truth of his father’s sto9
.ries… including the existence of Arthur’s ancient nemesis, one who calls himself the Shadow Lord, and a prophecy with implications so profound that it will alter not only the course of their lives, but potentially the fate of the world
 
I've always found King Arthur and his knights fascinating, even though I haven't read much about them since high school. Required reading can burn a person out on certain topics. So when I came across this book on Netgalley, I immediate requested it. It sounded so interesting! A mix of the Arthurian legends with magic and a current day setting? I'm in.
 
This book did not disappoint. Even though I typically read novels with female protagonists, I really liked Peter. He was geeky and interesting. I wanted to know more about him and his father, Bruce (who is totally lovable and nerdy). Peter knows science. Like REALLY REALLY knows science. He struggles in school because he's bored. He gets picked on by his best friend Cole's older brother (Brock) all the time. Life is rough for Peter.
 
The story starts off with a bang. Literally Peter and his friends are in a car crash. And he does something magical. He changes the outcome. But how?
 
We then go back in time to two days earlier. Peter meets a girl named Lily. Who is apparently just as crazy as his father, at least according to Peter. He doesn't know what to think of her. This part of the book is a little slow, at least for me. But it quickly picks up again when we get back to the car crash. For real this time.

Peter and his friends enter a mysterious place to escape being attacked after the crash. That place? None other than Camelot. Turns out all the stories Bruce told Peter growing up are true-to an extent. There's definitely some twists to the classic stories.
 
One of my favorite parts is trying to determine who the child of the prophecy is. Is it really Peter like everyone believes? I mean, he is a doppelganger of King Arthur. Or could it be Lily? Or maybe even the mysterious Kane? I have a theory, and I can't wait to see if its true.
 
A younger version of this guy, perhaps? I'll take it.
 I really enjoyed this story. It kept me on the ball and intrigued. I occasionally struggled with Peter's need to rely on science to explain everything. Especially complicated science like quantum and string theory. But it's easy to get around the more scientific aspects of the book as it moves at a fairly quick pace and the main story keeps you interested.

Also, the ending? The ending is wonderful. While I went back and forth during parts of the book on whether or not I would continue the series, the ending ensures that I will be back for the second book, Invincible.

No comments:

Post a Comment