Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review: Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Book: Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Released: May 4th, 2009
Publisher: Chicken House Ltd.
Pages: 180 (Nook Version)
Rating: 5 Stars out of 5


"I saw you before you saw me." 

When Gemma meets Ty at a Bangkok Airport cafe she's flattered by the attention. She lets him buy her a coffee. But soon what seems like a cute and flirtatious encounter turns into a nightmare beyond belief. Ty has been stalking Gemma since she was a young girl and planning her abduction for years. Driven by the delusion that he's saving her from terrible life, from parents who don't care for her well being, he drugs her coffee and steals her away in broad day light. He takes her to a remote shack in the Australian Outback where he tries to convince Gemma that he loves her; and in his own twisted way he does. But can he force Gemma to love him back. This story is in the form of a letter written to Ty from Gemma that reflects on the months she's held captive. 

This book blew my mind. It wasn't at all what I expected. It had me so drawn in that I read it in three hours. (when I should have been sleeping!) 

The characters of Gemma and Ty were both extremely well written. However, it's Ty's character that makes this book as amazing as it is. He's intense, emotional, scary and at the same time loving, caring, and gentle. You don't know how you should feel about him. Which leads me to my next point... Two words. 

Stockholm Syndrome. It's real and after reading this book I feel like I have truly experienced it. Lucy Christopher wrote this book in such a way that it instantly makes you feel the way that Gemma must have felt. Not knowing whether she should trust Ty or feel something other than repulsion and complete fear. Gemma's feeling for Ty become increasingly complicated as she grows to care for him. By the end I too cared for Ty, I pitied him and even hoped in some twisted way that he and Gemma would end up together.  I realize that is a completely ridiculous notion. I mean, he abducted her and held her captive. He terrorized her and made her fear for her life. This book dives into the world of Stockholm Syndrome and reading this left me feeling the effects of this psychological issue. 

I found this story to be emotional. Tears were shed people. Lots and lots of tears. The physiological intensity alone is enough for me to highly recommend this book. 

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment