Sunday, January 5, 2014

Review: The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu

Books: Legend, Prodigy and Champion by Marie Lu
Series: The Legend Trilogy (obviously)
Released: November 29, 2011; January 29, 2013; and November 5, 2013, respectively
Publisher: Putnam Juvenille
Pages: 320 Hardcover (Legend), 371 Hardcover (Prodigy), 384 Hardcover (Champion)
Rating: Whoa. Wow. Like. Love. Give Me More. Basically 5+ Stars

Goodreads (Marie Lu's Profile)
Individual titles will be linked below
 
 
 
 I know I gush over books a lot. It's one of my favorite past times. I can't resist telling friends (and occasional strangers) about my favorite books. This series is most definitely being added to my suggest to friends and make them all read it list. It's a thing. I promise. I am desperately trying to figure out why I took so long to read this series (Other than the fact I found out about it in October of last year). I binge-read this series. Or did the best I could considering I have an extremely active 3 1/2 year old.

Since I read all three together, I'm just going to review them together, instead of posting separate reviews for each one. I'll just be giving some highlights from each book, because a lot of the details run together and I don't want to inadvertently spoil it for anyone.
 
 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.
 
 
 Series would never happen if the first book wasn't fantastic. I was hooked from the very beginning of this book. The world building in this series is absolutely amazing (See Ross City in Champion). The balance between action and character development is stunning. Lu does such a fantastic job making you invested in the main characters (not to mention a few of the secondary ones as well). 

Book 1 Highlights:

About 15% in, Lu surprises you with the first major event happening-the murder of June's brother Metias (not a spoiler-it's in the synopsis. NOT THAT I KNEW THAT WHEN I STARTED READING IT. I was totally caught off guard, especially based on the circumstances of his death). 

June going under cover was maybe my favorite part of this book. I loved it. And her.

The developing relationship between Day and June. Love. Hate. Love. Complicated.

Big surprising thing that happens? Saw it coming. I'm awesome.
 
 The ending of Legend is magnificent. I am actually thankful I binge-read this series. I don't know if I could have waited to find out what happened next.
I'm with Hermione

 
Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?
 
Occasionally second books, like second movies, have a slump. I was happy to discover this was not the case for Prodigy. While I didn't absolutely LOVE it as much as I loved Legend (and then Champion), it was still great.
 
Book 2 Highlights:
 
My hometown (Amarillo) is mentioned. This makes me furiously happy.
 
The "love-quadrangle" between Day-June-Anden-Tess starts. I'm not okay with this. 
 
I totally like Anden. He seems like a great guy with a huge weight on his shoulders. Not the same kind of Elector as his father was.
 
THE ENDING. This is what I posted on Goodreads:

Read in to that what you will. And be prepared.

Twists, turns, who to trust? That seems to be the main focus of this book. I dig it.
The rare Sherlock confused face. It doesn't happen often.
 
 
He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?


June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything.

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion
 
 
AHHHH. This is what the final book in the trilogy should be like (side-eyes Allegiant). There were so many things I enjoyed about Champion.
 
Book 3 Highlights:

Ross City in Antarctica is a place I would love to visit. I was extremely curious to learn more about the point system. It actually reminded me of the Sims. It would be a fascinating experience for sure.
 
The "love-quadrangle." While I firmly rooted for Day and June's relationship to make it through the ups and downs, twists and turns, I was also super interested in June's relationship with Anden. While I didn't necessarily want them to date, I did enjoy their relationship. They matched in a different way than June and Day. Now the relationship between Day and Tess? I could not get on board with Tess. I never really liked her after the first book. I suppose I liked her slightly more at the end of the series, but that's about all I can say.

Eden. I love that little boy. He's such a bright spot in an otherwise dreary world. You want him to be happy. And safe.
 
Suck it Commander Jameson.

The end. It reminded me of the series finale of Chuck. Which may or may not be a spoiler. Haha.
Sigh. I want a Chuck movie. Someone get on kickstarter.

 This is one of the better series I've read. If you're a fan of The Hunger Games and The Divergent Trilogy, then I think you'd love this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment